DR Congo – Virunga HutweBy: New Ground Coffee
Virunga Coffee Company was established in 2011 by Schluter SA (now Olam Specialty Coffee Europe) with the vision to: “Change lives in DRC through commerce in a mutually profitable way by being a major coffee actor in Kivu.”
Virunga Coffee aims to achieve this vision by improving the quality and yields for farmers in North and South Kivu, primarily through:
– Developing and implementing field-based support activities
– Introducing Good Agricultural Practices (GAP)
– Investing in processing infrastructure
– Organising assured organic production in close collaboration with over 2,300 farmers (with a further 1,500 by June 2020)
– Bringing an innovative spirit to the development of new products
The Hutwe station is located at 1,790 masl in Kirumba zone, a very challenging region plagued with rebel groups. Like Virunga’s other washing stations, Hutwe operates a Penagos eco-pulper.
This naturally processed coffee has a lovely balance and a sweety and creamy body. Enjoy!
Taste: Nectarine, strawberry & chocolate
Varietal: Bourbon, Rumangabo
Bag Size: 250